Saturday, September 10, 2011

The Run up Rainier

 I've been in Seattle for a little over a week and am about to fly out to re-start my studies in Vermont. It's been great not wearing 5 layers to bed every night and having a shower and fridge full of food at my disposal.

Climbed Rainier, did some scuba diving in the Puget Sound... all in all, a relaxing time before I get swept up by college life.

Mt. Rainier---14,400' 

I had a few extra days, so my dad, two of his Russian friends and I climbed Rainier on a sunny relaxed weekend.

The approach 
Vassily---senior tsunami modeler at NOAA
Boris----longtime friend of my dad 
My dad
Some crevasses
The bathroom situation at Camp Schurman--9000'----5 star views 
The ranger's cabin at Schurman
Dinner of champions
My dad----you can still see the frostbitten nose from climbing in the Pamirs  years ago
Contemplating the feasibility of basejumping from Camp Schurman 
The resident ranger gathering snow for some cocktails
Melting snow for tea
Vassily keeping warm
sunset
 There were two other climbing groups with us at Schurman. They chose to go for a 1 am alpine start, while we liked our sleep.... so we left around 7:30 am (as per usual with my dad).

Heading out
Crossing some snowbridges
 I think we were faster because we either jumped over the crevasses or crossed on the nearest stable snowbridge. The other groups were more conservative and lost time taking long detours.


Boris loving life
Thanks for not stepping on my rope Vassily
Summit photo
Downclimbing the faster route

Our expert navigator 
Little Tacoma in the distance---you can see it all the way from Seattle, and my dad sunbathing
Boris relaxing after getting back to our tents in pure russian style
 After a quick break and lunch, we packed up our tent and headed back to the car.

Speeding down to get to the cooler full of beer
Fresh shirt and cold beer
30 hours after we hit the trailhead we were back at the car.

It's been a long time since I've donned a drysuit and dived into the cold waters of Puget Sound.



Checking to see how many PSI are left in the tank after 50 min. of underwater travel. I've always had a knack for not consuming lots of O2 compared to other divers, which lets me stay under longer than most. 
Well that's it. My year off is over. My life will get exceedingly less interesting in the coming months, so this is probably the last post for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment